The Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships are offered to current undergraduate students studying at the University of Cape Town (UCT); they may be from any of the six faculties at UCT (i.e., Commerce, Engineering and the Built Environment, Health Sciences, Sciences, and Humanities).
The Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships are aimed at students who have demonstrated leadership potential and are wanting to develop, succeed, and become a leader in their chosen field of study.
Deadline: 31st August 2021
Location: University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
About Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Objectives:
The leadership programme was developed by Klaus-Jürgen Bathe, a graduate from UCT and a forefront leader in Mechanical Engineering. He is the Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in America.
He has strong ties with, and a great commitment to UCT and, as such, implemented the undergraduate scholarship.
The main objective of the scholarship is to work with and produce graduates who are going to be leaders in many different economic spheres. They want them to show that they will make an impact on government, business, civil society, and industry, both within South Africa and the African continent.
About the Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships:
The scholarship will take place over two years while the students are completing their degrees. This will be in their second and third years of their degree.
Additional courses for the Scholarship will be added by the Programme Director to the ones that are mandatory in their second and third years at university.
In addition, during their degree, the students will have to spend six weeks within an approved organisation to gain exposure to their field in the real world. These organisations can be based in South Africa, Germany, or America.
To continue into the second year of the scholarship, the students will have to ensure that they are still performing academically. If not, they will not be able to.
The scholarship offers the students R120 000 per year. This is to cover their university fees, accommodation if required, meals, books, stationery, and transport.
- UCT undergraduate students.
- Students must be either in their first year of their degree, or recently completed it. It is only open to first year students. There must be two years left of their degree before it is awarded. It is NOT open to post-graduate students.
- The majority of the scholarships are open to South African citizens; however other sub-Saharan students may apply with additional conditions.
- Conditions for the sub-Saharan students:
- Sub-Saharan students MUST commit to remain in South Africa for at least 10 years once they have completed their degree.
- They must commit to serving their own countries as well.
- Academic merit.
- Leadership potential.
- Desire to serve the public.
- Commit to the goals of the programme.
How to Apply:
- You must apply online – APPLY VIA THIS ONLINE APPLICATION FORM HERE.
- You are required to supply supporting documents, please email the following supporting documents to Tammy Matose: [email protected]
- Certified ID
- Certified Matric Certificate
- Official UCT academic record
- A motivational letter
- Financial information on the financial status of their families
Please set time aside for your application as it is a long process to go through.
Short-listed candidates will be interviewed. During the interview, they will have to identify why they should be awarded the scholarship, do a speech on a topic of global relevance, and identify how they see themselves playing a leadership role in their country.
Email Address: [email protected]
Contact Number: +27 21 650 1228
Address: Room 6.19, Menzies Building
Engineering Mall, Upper Campus, University of Cape Town