Internship Application Closing Date: 16 December 2020
Internship Location: Cape Town, South Africa
This position requires the incumbent to support and work with the Regional Director and Staff Attorney to contribute to the work ProBono.Org in Cape Town.
- Interviewing those seeking legal assistance or anyone acting on their behalf.
- Assessing matters in terms of the ProBono.Org criteria.
- Consulting with the ProBono.Org Staff Attorney on the best strategy for dealing with matters, such as direct assistance, litigation, mediation or another form of legal intervention.
- Preparing detailed briefs, memos and instructions for legal practitioners in matters that require pro bono legal assistance.
- Managing all matters from time of consultation until such matter is closed or referred to an attorney or advocate.
- Maintaining, building and enhancing strong relationships with NGOs, CBOs, CAOs, law clinics and other pro bono and public interest law initiatives.
- Writing reports on matters to be used as part of ProBono.Org’s reporting and communication functions, including Facebook and Twitter.
- Attending workshops and seminars on behalf of ProBono.Org.
- Facilitating community and attorney workshops on behalf of ProBono.Org.
- Conducting research and handling other details in preparation of matters, where necessary.
- A demonstrable commitment to and interest in public interest law and social justice.
- Proactive attitude, with enthusiasm for ProBono.Org’s mission and vision.
- Proficiency in English and isiXhosa.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent drafting, writing and editing skills.
- Computer literate (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point)
- Valid driver’s licence and driving experience preferred (not required); and
- Currently based in Cape Town
- An appropriate law qualification, (LLB) with some practical experience.
- Knowledge of SA’s socio-economic environment and how it impacts on legal justice.
How to apply
To apply, kindly email a motivational letter and your CV with certified copies of qualifications and academic transcripts to: [email protected]
Closing date: 16 December 2020
NB: Applications which do not comply with the above will not be considered.