The SATI bursary supports successful students who are studying Language practice, Interpreting, and Translation.
The bursary will be awarded to 1 lucky student and the total worth of the bursary is R10000. Students in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year of study are eligible to apply.
Given that South Africa has 11 official languages, SATI’s mission is to build a multilingual culture undertaking and promote development in interpretation, language practice, and translation.
They are looking for students with exceptional academic skills who can show excellent results. After your graduation, you should be an asset to the development of language in South Africa.
The closing date is 31. March 2021.
Please submit your application by the 31. March 2021. since any submission after the closing date won’t be considered.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
SATI stands for South African Translators’ Institute. This is a professional association founded in 1956.
It is a voluntary association, yet its members work in a wide range of professions like Translation, Sworn Translation, Interpreting, Editing & Proofreading, Terminology & Lexicography, Accreditation.
SATI currently counts more than 800 members. They are not an employment agency, however, in the communication with clients they refer members according to their language requirements.
The institute aims to emphasize the importance of effective communication. Remember SATI’s motto: Per interpretes pons conditur – A bridge built by translators.
Who Can Apply?
Besides the financial need and academic results, there are a couple more things to notice before applying for this bursary.
In the selection process, have in mind that you’ll need to attach the affidavit confirming that you’re not currently funded by any other bursary along with proof that you’re also not funded to cover the same amount as SATI bursary covers.
Professional engagements, language combination, and previous SATI awards, will affect decisions while selecting the right applicant.
What does the bursary cover?
The SATI bursary is not a full bursary and will not cover all costs that are needed to study. That is why they want proof that you are able to pay for the rest before they will award you their bursary.
They will pay the bursary amount in 2 parts.
The first part is 50% of the total amount at the beginning of the year, and the second part.
The other 50% is in the 2nd semester with the submission of the student’s results from the 1st semester. The results should show an average grade of 65% success in all language practice subjects.
As an applicant for the SATI bursary, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Registration at a South African tertiary institution for formal education training in translation, interpreting, and/or other aspects of language practice.
- Be a South African citizen.
- Attending second, third, or fourth year of an undergraduate qualification in language practice, interpreting, and language practice.
- Achieve an average mark of over 65% for all subjects regarding language practice.
- Have not failed any subjects you have registered in the year of receiving the bursary.
- Capability to work in combinations of the official languages.
How to Apply?
There are two steps to complete before applying for the SATI bursary.
1) Be sure to secure the following documentation:
Certified copies of:
- ID document
- Matric certificate
- Full tertiary academic record
- Academic qualification
- Registration at a tertiary institution for 2021
- Registration at a tertiary institution for the current year of study
- Financial ability to cover other expenses that the SATI bursary doesn’t cover
- Any details regarding bursaries you expect to receive or you have received
Reference to the one successfully selected only:
- An affidavit of confirmation that you are not funded by any other bursary funding the same value that SATI bursary would cover.
2) Download and complete the Word application form from the SATI website
Send the completed application form along with the prepared documents to this e-mail: [email protected].
For more information, you can download the SATI bursary information in
You can also visit the official SATI website.
(+27) 76 632 0211
PO Box 31360, Bloemfontein, 9317.