JB Marks Education Trust Fund- Funding for Students

Search Only University Name

JB Marks Education Trust Fund- Funding for Students

The JB Marks Education Trust Fund supports students who need an education in mining and related sectors, but can otherwise not afford it. Historically, the JB Marks Trust Fund mainly supported members of the NUM union but nowadays through funding they can be less specific and support students in mining construction and energy sectors

They have limited funding every year of 200 Undergraduate and 50 postgraduate bursaries. They are given to students who are eligible on a first come first serve base.

Their goal is to give students better opportunities and better education so they can flourish in life. They receive funding from the NUM (National Union of Mineworkers) but also from additional sources.

Who Can Apply for the JB Marks Bursary?

Any student who is related to a NUM member can apply for this bursary if you are able to provide proof:

  • You are related to a Paid up disabled/retired NUM member, former member or official.
  • You are the child/spouse of a former NUM member
  • You are studying to an undergraduate or Postgraduate qualification for one of their supported studies and universities
  • You are not receiving any other funding
  • If you want to receive the postgraduate bursary, you have to do so within 1 year after your Undergraduate and be an existing recipient of the JB Marks Bursary.

What Does The Bursary Cover?

The bursary will cover the following expenses:


  • Accommodation and Meals
  • Textbooks
  • Registration Fees and Tuition
  • Examination fees

In some circumstances, they withhold the right to terminate the bursary. An example could be if you decide to switch study field within 6 months after starting their bursary. If this happens you will likely have to repay the bursary

How to Apply For the JB Marks Bursary?

You can find their application form at your nearest NUM branch or you can do their application online.

You will need to add the following documents to your application. if you fail to do so, they will consider your application as incomplete and not consider you.

  • NUM Union member payslip
  • a Certified copy of your latest Matric or tertiary results
  • Certified copy of your ID and the ID of the union member
  • an Acceptance letter from your tertiary institution that you are approved to that institution.

Postgraduate students must also send a motivation letter up to 1000 words and their academic record of their previous years to the Professional development officer [email protected]

The Postgraduate bursary is limited to study fields who are approved and considered critical by the Board of Trustees

When Is the Closing Date?

Applications opens the second week of March every year. This may however change in some years depending on circumstances at the time

Applications close on 1st July every year. This is however also subject to change.

About Owura

Check Also

Gauteng Department of Education Vacancies 2022

Are you Looking for Department of Education Gauteng Vacancies, Here Is a Great Employment …