There are a limited number of Gold Fields bursaries made available to students aiming for a bachelor’s degree and to work within the engineering and mining sectors. Gold Fields wishes to also employ these candidates and thus they aim to assist talented students in these fields. Their bursaries usually cover Registration and Tuition fees at a South African University, two payments yearly towards living costs as well as two payments yearly towards book fees and related fees. In addition, a selected student can apply once-off for a computer allowance but only in their second-year studies with specific terms and conditions. There are also study possibilities for Technikon.
Gold Fields Bursaries Available for African Students
The company has the following fields of study available for successful candidates for University and all are BSc courses:
The company also has the following fields of study available for successful candidates for Technikon study:
- Mining Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (Heavy and Light Current)
- Extraction Metallurgy
- Environmental Management
- Mine Survey
Gold Fields Bursaries Requirements
Students must provide the following documentation to qualify for a bursary:
- Students must be South African citizens.
- Applicants must have a need for financial aid.
- Students who are currently studying at a South African University full-time or intends on doing so towards a degree in one of the fields of study above.
- You must be able to provide their Grade 11 & Grade 12 results or progress of Grade 12 if still in Grade 12.
- Students must, at least, have a level 6 for Mathematics and Physical Science or higher.
- Candidates must have an acceptance letter or proof of acceptance by the University for the mentioned Degree in the field of study as implied on the application form.
- Students who intend to study full-time from the year following their application may apply.
- Applicants studying first-year and turning 21 in that year or students in their second year turning no older than 23 in the fields mentioned above may also apply.
Upon acceptance of the bursary students agree to work for Gold Fields or any of its nominee’s for the same period as the bursary term. Therefore, if the student received a 3-year study bursary the student is obligated to a 3-year service contract.
Gold Fields Bursary Opportunities
The company also offers opportunities for Graduates, Apprenticeships as well as Vacation work for Students. Gain a better start with the aid of Gold Fields opportunities and programs on offer and build your skills. Learn from their professionals and gain working experience in the process within a safe environment offering challenging and rewarding advances to any career.
Students interested can access their web page although more information is only made available closer to the time of availability.
Gold Fields Bursaries Application
Bursaries online applications are not available but students can complete the bursary forms and with all required documentation send it to the following address:
The Bursary Administrator
Gold Fields Business and Leadership
Private Bag X11
For more information feel free to have a look at Gold Fields online web page although applications are closed at the moment. Also, keep in mind that Gold Fields will not be held responsible for keeping or guarding any documentation received. Students are asked to only send legible copies of needed documentation as the originals will need to accompany selected students to their interview.
The selection process will be as follow:
- Students who apply will receive their forms during February and/or May each year for the fields of study available.
- Students who make the shortlist of candidates will be required to do a medical examination or already have a medical fitness certificate that is valid for the University they will be attending. These students will also be asked to partake in a psychometric test.
- Students who receive bursaries will need to sign a bursary agreement upon acceptance stating all terms and conditions.
- Selection will also depend on the acceptance from the University in the desired field of study for students in accordance for the year of commencement.
- Qualifying students will be selected by Gold Fields.
Gold Fields Bursaries Closing Date
Closing date for applications each year is the end of June and no late applications will be considered. You will receive a response within a month from the closing date if you qualified for the bursary. If you do not receive any communication within a month from the closing date your application has been unsuccessful and there will be no communications further.